The Best Ever Chilli Sauce – This is from my own kitchen and I have re made it several times. Last time I made it, I did it without gloves on, please DO NOT follow suit !
- 10 cloves of garlic peeled
- 4 larger red chillies with stems and seeds removed (if you want you can remove as many seeds as you wish)
- 5 thumbs of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 thumb galangal, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 lime leaves
- 5 lemon grass stems, remove the two outside leaves, discard the top third of the stem, finely slice
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 50 ml Asian fish sauce
- 50 ml tamari
Ginger vs galangal – yes there is a difference, but if you cant get galangal, just use ginger. Put in food processor until is paste.
In saucepan put caster sugar, 4 tablespoons water, cook over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Once dissolved, remove spoon and up the heat and boil for 5-8 minutes. Do not stir (Do not let it burn either)
Stir in the paste and bring back to the boil.
Add cider vinegar, fish sauce,tamari. Return to boil and simmer for 1 minute.
Place in bottles.
Note: This recipe is not designed to be a real keeper, but I have however kept mine for about a year refrigerated. If you want it hot, you will need to adjust the amount of seeds that remain in the mixture.