It will be Christmas before we know it ! Now is the time to get in and start making those little extras, You know those ones that you can pull out of the freezer when someone arrives unexpectedly full of Christmas cheer. I always like to have these little Christmas Bikkies ready to go. Have fun with the Christmas color and decorations.
Fun Christmas Bikkies
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/8 pure vanilla extract
Royal icing – Ingredients
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed in a large bowl until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the sugar, beating until just incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat until medium-stiff glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
Sanding sugar and sugar pearls, for decorating
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg, then vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Shape dough into 4 disks and roll each between 2 sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper to ⅛ inch thick. Chill until firm, 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut out cookies and place on the prepared baking sheets. Reroll, chill, and cut scraps.
- Bake, rotating positions of pans halfway through, until cookies are light golden brown around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired.