9/6/19 This is a pic of the ones that I made…. smell good, have to wait a few days to taste. Can’t wait. 🙂
I picked up a haul of fresh cucumbers yesterday, from a local guy, and tomorrow I will make Bread and Butter Pickles. Here is the recipe.
- 3 lb crisp cucumbers, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup salt/sea salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tabs mustard seeds
- 1 teas celery seeds
- 1 teas turmeric
- Place the cucumbers and onions in a colander resting in a large bowl or in the sink. Toss the sale and let stand for 1-2 hours (the cucumber will release a lot of water during salting)
- Rinse the cucumbers and onions and then place in a single layer on a couple of sheet pans lined with paper towels. Cover with another layer of paper towels and let dry overnight.
- The next day, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil
- Fill your sterilized canning jars with the cucumbers and onions, leaving about 1/2 inch space from the top of the jars. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and onions to fill the jars. Seal the jars according to manufacturers instructions.
- Store in the refrigerator and allow to sit for several days before opening to allow the flavors to fully develop. Best served chilled.